Round table -“How Boards can influence value at exit and create wealth. Six key steps.” - Notes
Traits to look for in an adviser- Paul Herman
- Honesty (!)
- Senior lead
- Conflicts / Not too close to buyers
- If you are in a very technical area then experience in the sector
Preparing in time- Paul Herman
- Think about a Data room early
- Phase 1 v phase 2
- Be comprehensive and use a checklist
- Disclose good and bad news, but think about WHEN to disclose
Opportunity map- Paul Herman
- Critical to driving value
- Could be products, services, up selling, channels, geographies, ‘lite-style’ product
- Need to consider opportunity map in context of buyers
- No more than 4 themes, but you need get runs on the board pre sale
- 2 of these (at least) should work
Managing an exercise with speed- Paul Herman
- Key stages in a sale exercise (prep, marketing, dd/legals)
- Heads of terms stage critical – balance of power
- Deliverability counts. Don’t just chase high pricing.
- Speed v value – be commercial
Structuring sales proceeds- Dan Hall
· Speak to a Wealth Manager / Make plans before the sale competes, to be sure not to miss opportunities
· Whose name should assets be held in?
· Consider simple tax wrappers (ISAs / Pensions) as well as annual tax allowances
· Is more advanced wealth structuring required?
· Should you invest in other private businesses (SEIS / EIS) if so what the tax benefits
· Do you want to give wealth away; family / charity?
Managing investments and income post-sale- Dan Hall
· What net income do you require?
· Where should you draw income from?
· How should you allocate your assets / spread risk?
Thank you to all our Members and Guests for making this event such a success!
Paul Herman, CEO of Bluebox Corporate Finance | 020 3872 4500 | email@example.com
Dan Hall, Senior Investment Director of Investec Wealth & Investment | 020 7597 1787 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Caroline Hayward, CEO of The Chairman’s Network | 01242 236277 | email@example.com